Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Hose Pipes and Tree Houses

It's difficult to remember the days when milk was my favourite beverage, what with the seive-like quality (prolonged use of alcohol - in moderation :-) of course) of my brain. I do, however remember that the small things gave me joy and it didn't take much to get me to chuckling my young ass off. I know that those days involved the good, clean fun of youth. The best days of my life, without the aid of alcohol.

Growing up with siblings being the better option as a young kid guarenteed that the fun was plentiful. (Until lights out) There were no 40 hour work weeks and your parents paid your rent, clothed and fed you without any request for monetary assistance. Lucky us. Why did we make wishes before bed to wake up years older?

Yes, I do confess, the freedom, independance and beer make being out of Mom's hair more bearable, but OH, what I wouldn't give to be 10 years old again, if only for a week.

Do you remember how good ants tasted? In fact, most creepy crawlies were edible. If you weren't into eating the actual ants, inciting wars between 2 or more colonies was the equivalent of today's kids' PlayStation 3 fun. Today's kids are soft.

It's funny how things change.

Speaking of the difference between indoor and outdoor fun, I must mention the SLIPPERY SLIDE. We all know it's still fun now, but when last did you dig up that old plastic sheeting from the bottom of that rusty trunk in your garage/storage space, grab the dishwashing liquid and hose pipe and head into the glorious daylight? We should explore the childish absurdity of the yesteryears more often. Grass burns and sunshine for the win. (Minus the sunburn, please?)

In the days of relationships, where your parents' constant worrying phonecalls about how you party too much and why you broke up with so-and-so, riddled with questions such as 'Why don't you have a new girlfriend yet?' are about as amusing as the post-breakup depression itself, I relish the days when three 6 year old girls were totally cool with being your girlfriends all at the same time and it wasn't unusual for all 4 of you to run around half naked through sprinklers and such. Wouldn't it be great if life was still that easy?

I'm sure you agree with me when I say the days are missed when mom or spiderman was your best friend, and reading the Famous 5 books meant you were WAY smart, when the heights from the Monkey Bars to the padded grass below filled you with fear, and dad's strong pushes on the tyre-swing made you feel like you were on top of the world. Today, if I wanted that same adrenaline rush, I would have to climb skycrapers or ask really hot supermodels on dates.

I had almost forgotten the days of eating worms and mudpies and thinking the worms would live in my stomache forever, and had almost misplaced the memories of my first bicycle, the first time my training wheels were removed, and that momentous act of looking back to see no-one was holding my seat anymore, and I was finally riding unaided. I think that awareness may have been more euphoric than the feeling of freedom I experienced the day I got my first motorcar.

Those were the days: when fun was simple, and climbing trees, den building and gobstoppers were all we needed to put smiles on our faces. (How reminiscent am I?) Think back to your first tree house. That first taste of freedom. We must not have known that once we actually had our own houses, mom and dad wouldn't be stopping by every half hour with picnic baskets attached to pully devices.

If only we could rewind, back to when chocolate sprinkles were the best thing since lego.

Life was the epitome of simplicity.

That's not to say that there aren't fun things to do as an adult, of course. :-P

Let's just keep it simple, shall we guys? Let's not dwell on what we don't have - but what we have, have experienced, and how it's all shaped us in to the well-rounded individuals we are today.

http://marvel.com/

Enough said...

No comments:

Post a Comment