Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Nothing about Unicorns

Sitting here, staring at the cursor that is blinking away on my screen, almost wishing I would hit the keys to make it work has left me feeling rather confused – it has been a week from hell so far work-wise, but life-wise it’s been fucking amazing!

Thinking about what it takes to make an interesting, worthy piece is kind of a piece in its own. Naturally, there are so many genres to choose from – from  thought-provoking to funny, serious topics, writing that demonstrates my frustration; how is it that, after not writing for a prolonged period of time, one gets rusty - or worse - stuck in a rut, with absolutely no variation of topic?

So, I ask you to please bear with me as I endeavor to get my proverbial groove back with the latest edition of the 123 Chronicles…

I guess it all started yesterday when I ran my ‘mouth’ – well, fingers – off about my sunny disposition I’m experiencing at present, and quoted, in reference to Mythical Ponies, that I sat back and thought, fuck me dude, life is awesome at the moment and I foresee a definite increase in the smile factor.

We get so wrapped up in the 9-5 (7 ‘til 5, in my case) daily grind, and the strive for ‘perfection’, that we often overlook the ability to be all like Whoooa – awesome, life rocks. I’m just going to revel in it for a few, and what a difference it makes when you do. I’m walking around smiling like a retard with a yo-yo. This, I’m pretty sure, can be attributed to an amazing lady that has seriously blown my mind. And she’s appeared in my life along with an attitude change wherein I positively feel that I’m tired of being ‘depro’ and hating life just because one aspect isn’t all sunshine and unicorns.

Work, I feel, is there for a reason but I, for one, am no longer letting it dictate my mind-set and/or happiness. Now, before you all start throwing stones at the hippy, think about it - you have a shit day at work, and when you walk out the office door and switch the torturous fluorescent lights off, do you leave the shitty day behind the door? Nope. You put it in your back pocket and you carry those issues around with you. The drive home takes longer. That twat in the beemer cuts you off. And fuck’s sakes, you’ve burnt the rice. All because of one shitty day at work…Well, I’m starting to think fuck that; I’m going to be happy regardless of circumstance. I have people who love me. I have a roof over my head. I can afford beer and cigarettes. Life is good.

This isn’t a piece about hating work. Instead, it’s about taking pleasure in the small things in life and the uncomplicated joys.

I received a very cool email the other day titled: I’ve learned - and some of the points really resonated with me and have certainly helped with my new outlook on life…

I’ve learned that sometimes you have to put the individual ahead of their actions.
I’ve learned that you can keep going - long after you think you can’t.
I’ve learned that writing, as well as talking, can ease emotional pains.
I’ve learned that you cannot make someone love you.  All you can do is be someone who can be loved.  The rest is up to them.
I’ve learned that no matter how thin you slice it; there are always two sides.
I’ve learned that you can get by on charm for about fifteen minutes.  After that, you had better know something.

I’ve started learning (again) in order to make me happy, and the rest – well, the rest can be managed tomorrow. My advice herein is to carry your own good weather around with you and to be grateful, for you never know what is around the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment